Treatment started abroad

Posted Mon 6 Jun 2022 13.43 by Flowerperson

Hi Guys, Has anyone got experience with continuing Psoriasis treatment in the Uk that was started abroad? I currently live in the United Arab Emirates where, for the last six months, my psoriasis has been treated with the biological Taltz. It's been super effective. and I am happy to say that I am practically psoriasis free. It's gone down to covering < 1% of my body from > 50%. My doctor here has advised me to continue with the treatment as long as possible to avoid a relapse. I am worried that I won't be able to continue my treatment through the NHS once I return. The injections are so expensive there is no way I could purchase them myself. Does anyone know what usually happens in a situation like this? I have medical records etc, that prove the treatment has worked. Thanks in advance.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 2022 05.33 by GingerCollectiv
Diagnosed with Psoriasis since early 20's, tried multiple treatments but currently experiencing amazing results with Humira/Adalimumab

Good morning, I'm sorry to say I don't have an answer for you, but will soon find myself in a similar position. I too am out in UAE (Dubai to be specific) and have been on Humira for over 8years (with amazing results). I am looking to relocate back to the UK and am worried that the waiting times to see a Dermatologist on the NHS will result in a flare up, and going back to square 1 :( I have many avenues to investigate, if I get any news or paths to follow I shall let you know. Good luck !

Posted Mon 26 Sep 2022 16.00 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

@ flowerperson. I don't have definitive answers just suggestions. We're you under a dermatologist before you moved to UAE? If so did were you prescribed any systemic or biologic treatments? Before moving back to the UK it may be worth enquiring with your new GP or local health authority what the situation is. As you may be aware the NHS usually have to follow NICE guidelines so could be hurdles to follow before Biologics are prescribed. There are probably exceptions though. Could your Doctor in the UAE give you a supply of Taltz to keep you going in the UK? although follow up blood tests and someone to monitor them will be required. It's a tricky one. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us