Acitretin

Posted Sat 12 Nov 2022 11.44 by Ju7472

Hi there, I’ve suffered from psoriasis for 20 years & have always managed it myself with lotions, creams & light therapy. Due to a change in my psoriasis which now covers most of my body & a decline in my mental health I have been prescribed Acitretin. What are peoples experince of this medication? I am so worried about the side affects, in particular hair loss.

Posted Sat 12 Nov 2022 15.47 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Sadly yes hair loss is a common side effect of acitretin. Started with curly hair which then turned brittle then loss. Hair loss is not the only side effect I suffered, too many horrible effects. I.m..o. it is a nasty drug which dermatologists prescribe as a first line systemic med as it is a non immunosuppressant. There are numerous threads on the forum worth searching on acitretin side effects. Good luck.

Posted Sun 13 Nov 2022 12.56 by Ju7472

Thank you for your message. Sorry to hear you suffered horrible side effects. My doctor was very vague when I asked her about the side effects of Acitretin. Did the hair loss etc stop once you stopped taking Acitretin?

Posted Sun 13 Nov 2022 18.55 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

Hi, some Dr's either don't know the extent of possible side effects or not want to worry you. There are so many patient reviews about Acitretin with similar comments unfortunately. Anyway to answer your question. I was on Acitretin for so long that the hair loss damage was done I think. Saying that as a guy it may be natural for my hair to thin at that age so no never grew back but that may not be all down to the drug. I wish you well on Acitretin, on the positive side it can make a difference to your P.

To take part, sign in or register with us