.biologics

Posted Fri 29 Mar 2024 07.49 by mt382

@mim regarding weight gain: I don't know the specifics of weight gain and biologics, but it isn't hard to visualise the average person who needs them: IBD sufferers who have chronic/bloody diarrhea and poor appetite, malabsorption, anaemia, weight loss - remission would reverse this and cause (expected and healthy) weight gain. Rheumatoid/psoriatic arthritis sufferers with painful joints, a general feeling of malaise, poor sleep, lung issues - biologics increased mobility (muscle gain), improved pain and mood (increased wellbeing and eating) - expected and healthy weight gain.

Posted Thu 25 Apr 2024 18.09 by Bobbybhoy (edited Thu 25 Apr 2024 18.13 by Bobbybhoy)

Hi All, Had psoriasis since i was 18 ( Now 38 ) Tried everything you can imagine from medical remedies, Diet changes, Extreme fasting, Light therapy even went down holistic and spiritual path over the years and this year im worse than ive ever been. I've been waiting on a dermatology appointment for nearly 2.5yrs ( From Scotland ) and ive been told im still on the emergency waiting list. I'm now mentally struggling with it all now and have looked into Biologics over the past 2yrs. I'm hoping to get the Skirizi medication eventually but i ned to wait until i get a recommendation from a dermatologist 😞. I did find out the medication is avaliable through the NHS which would be amazing to get but waiting on this appointment is driving me insane, Does anyone know if you get a private consultation can you still apply for an NHS grant? I can get one for £240 but if i can't apply for the NHS grant through them il need to wait or sort out funds to get me started. Any information from someone who's went through this experience would be greatly appreciated. Also if this isn't the relevant page could you send me a link to a more appropriate one please. Thank You, Robert

Posted Thu 30 May 2024 16.22 by Kirstmcp

Hi, I have been taking Tremya for approx 6 months and it has been transformative in the treatment of my psoriasis. Skin clear since about 4 weeks in minimal side effects. I've a long history, 25 years of different lotions, potions, light therapy, pills and medications before getting to this point and the previous biologic drug I tried Himera just didn't suit me at all, worst flare up in about a decade, So sometimes it's a bit of try and see. I agree that just having active psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis increases your risk of cancer, along with years of PUVA therapy that isn't going to help either but I firmly believe taking the biologic actually has some benefits in bringing a runaway autoimmune system into check. It won't be for everyone and the older literature can be a scary read. Research reputable sources like BAD (British association of dermatologists) and way up your pros and cons I hope you find something that helps, good luck

Posted Thu 30 May 2024 18.40 by AnnaB

Hi all Like many of you I’ve suffered with psoriasis for many years and have been through the whole range of treatments. Finally I was prescribed Adalimumab in January this year and I thought this is it, something that works, I’m going to be able to expose my legs and arms this summer. I can’t begin to explain the elation I felt. I was on Fumaderm for many years which led to me being housebound because of the side affects which for me were similar to having IBS. However, 3 weeks ago I noticed patches of psoriasis appearing and it’s ramped up to the point I’m now covering up my body again. Can anyone explain this to me? Is this common? I am very lucky to have another hospital appointment to discuss this and a treatment change very soon. I think I am limited to which biological treatments I take as I am a breast cancer survivor of 13 years. Has anyone else been through this. I’d be so grateful for any advice. Thank you Anna

Posted Thu 30 May 2024 19.27 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

@Anna I started Adalimumab (Yuflyma,) in March and it coincided with a massive flare. I'm new to psoriasis (spring last year first symptoms) and after the loading dose I was worse than ever. I was taken off it in early May and strangely enough I cleared pretty well in the week after my final injection. My dermatologist was going to put me on methotrexate instead but was also lining up Stelara (Ustekinumab) subject to funding approval and results of biopsy. Although not yet available in the UK the first biosimilars for that have just been approved by the FDA in the US and also by the EU (not sure if that covers the UK now, it used to).. So certainly ask for a different biologic now that Adalimumab has failed.. The more expensive ones will be funded according to the NICE guidelines. T

Posted Thu 30 May 2024 19.36 by AnnaB

Thanks so much for your reply. Fingers crossed they can find something that works for me. Has your psoriasis stayed away?

Posted Thu 30 May 2024 22.24 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

There's a right battle going on! By day 12 of the injection cycle I tend to get a few plaques which are then gone in a couple of days after the jab.. I've got other issues too due to Acitretin side effects - I lost all my nails hands and feet and ended up with much worse palmoplantar pustulosis. Finally getting on top of that with Dermovate, Flexitol, and Diprosalic. Not getting my hopes up but I think I spy new nails under the hyperkeratosis.- certainly my nail folds have got a bit sore which is a positive sign.

Posted Thu 30 May 2024 22.36 by AnnaB

Gosh, that is such a lot to cope with. I find it emotionally draining so I can’t imagine how you feel. 😰 I really hope they are growing back! 🤞🤞🤞🤞 What is Acitretin and what injections are you currently on?

Posted Fri 31 May 2024 16.29 by Mim

Hello, I am also on Adelimumab (Angevita) since January. I've had psoriasis since 11 years, I'm now 68, and it got significantly worse as I got older. This is my 3rd biologic and this one did make my skin almost clear in a matter of weeks which was amazing. A few plaques have reappeared. The immunosuppressant has caused me to have ear infections several times and significant hearing loss as a result of one. However, the thought of summer with a mostly clear - even if ancient - body - is a great prospect. Fingers crossed

Posted Fri 31 May 2024 23.12 by kiloran

@annab Acitretin is usually the first thing tried on the NHS treatment pathway if topical steroids aren't working. Usually it's a 25mg dose once per day. I very quickly was dropped to 10mg but the side effects continued. I also got awful moodswings which I didn't notice but my work colleagues and partner did. That said it is effective for a lot of people, it just wasn't for me. Since posting a couple of days ago I've got five new bare nailbeds which is a big change from how they've been in the last few weeks. Hopefully I should see some new nail growth as a result. My partner has got very adept at making finger dressings out of Softpore! I'm on Yuflyma which is a biosimilar version of Adalimumab (trade name Humira). I inject once every two weeks.

Posted Fri 31 May 2024 23.20 by kiloran

@Mim I hope it goes well for you and you get nice clear skin for the summer I've only had it for about 9 months and I'm always impressed by the fortitude of people who've had psoriasis for decades and through times when there just weren't many treatment options. Biologics really are a miracle and we're fortunate to have many more treatments coming. I genuinely feel that we'll have a cure in the next decade, probably through gene editing. Some of "our" biologics were used as a last resort to treat COVID in the most seriously ill patients and that means they're being researched by general medicine, not just dermatologists and rheumatologists now

Posted Fri 7 Jun 2024 16.49 by adam1974

Hi AnnaB, Sorry to hear but also pleased I am not the only one. I am 50 and had psoriasis since childhood all over my body and effecting my joints, I also started Adalimumab/Yuflyma 40mg in January and my first 6 doses cleared my skin and joints alike giving new lease of life. During my 2nd batch of 6 doses it has returned with vengeance. Either my body has built a tolerance or could there be a bad batch out there? Interested to hear if anyone else has returning symptoms.

To take part, sign in or register with us