Sadness, Anxiety to follow

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 02.55 by danib_xo (edited Mon 22 Jan 2024 02.58 by danib_xo)

Hey guys, hope you all well xx So a little background story, I firstly had a patch on my scalp Jan 23, I really thought nothing to much about it as I die my hair blonde and thought maybe it was a reaction. (this time frame was also a very difficult period for me and my family). Fast forward a couple months, I went through another life trama (as some will call it “experience”) but I got my heart broken and I happened to be in another country, far far away from my loved ones. Once I got back to my safe place, I noticed I had FULL BLOWN scalp p. I was devastated. I couldn’t think anything else could go wrong that year…then this happened to me. I saw my dermatologist, she said she wanted to go down the “topical” treatment route and that my stress levels were high and to get involved in some sort of activity to benefit my health. I was shocked, as i’m an active, healthy lifestyle and loving person. I know what I was going through didn’t define me and I knew it would get better. Fast forward to today, the p has spread like wildfire throughout my body. (arms, back, behind the ears, legs, etc). I don’t want to sound any sort of dramatic when I say this as I know A TON of people are dealing with this and have it way worse than I do at this time. However, it really has made me so sad and truly leaves my mind racing: “I know i’ve had trauma and personal life issues, but why THIS? why ME? why NOW?”. I’ve dealt with stressful situations before (as we all have) and I just don’t understand it all, or how the human body can do this. My dermatologist is relating it mainly on my stress levels (which is true in my case), however the creams, shampoos and lotions she’s prescribed/recommended has not helped at all. I’ve recently ordered a few products on my own that have helped more. Does anyone else’s story relate at all? Am I the only one feeling like this? I usually live my life so carefree and full of life and lately i’m staring blankly in my closet bc I don’t want to wear my clothes that show too much skin as it’s hard for even me to look down at. I’m trying really hard, i’m trying to stay positive and use the medication/products but it doesn’t seem to be helping. How are YOU guys feeling? I know i’m not alone. And i’m thankful to be a part of this group with all of you.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 11.34 by Acrazydoglady

hi - honestly, I soo get this, I had one of the worst life events happen to me, & got bit by 2 insects in the park, and had 2 small patches of something, then it spread like wildfire across my body and I go & get diagnosed with plaque psoriasis and I've always been told it's stress related! I've always had a positive can do attitude and so can't believe what happened. I'm always covered up. Well I've been trialling a lot of stuff and things start to improve & then wham bam a flare up again & I've been going backwards. Now 4 years later I'm finally having some success with a focus on my gut health. So wishing you all the very best & you're soo not alone xx

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 15.12 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Sorry to hear you're going through this. My condition also started in January '23 and one year on its transformed my life and relationships from being active and outside to spending most of my time going from bed to bathroom and nowhere else other than appointments. One thing that's helped me own it is to stop caring what others think. It's perhaps easy for me as a white middle aged male with a strong relationship and family. But I also have a female friend with extensive plaque psoriasis who wears skimpy clothes and even bikinis at the beach. Her view is that she's not going to let a stranger she's never going to see again define how she behaves. Much like online you've got to ignore the haters and be your own authentic self. It takes time but try to focus on what you can still do and own your condition, don't let it own you. This is something that's really changed in the last few years, we see it with people being open about mental health too. Look at news reports from people who have stomas or alopecia or mastectomies etc. and are out there and showing it. These are all things which usually aren't your fault so don't feel judged by others. Also for relationships chronic illness doesn't have to get in the way of dating, there are people out there who see the person not the illness....

Posted Wed 6 Mar 2024 14.39 by Dollydot

I really feel for you. I’m a long term sufferer and it all started when I was 11. Had glandular fever and after recovery the first thing I wanted to do was ride my bike. Came off that said bike and grazed both elbows and knees. As they scabbed over psoriasis started. In those days all we were told was to put cream on it! Roll on to late teens and had strep throat, elbows and knees got a whole lot worse. I’ve suffered with it now for 45 years. Sometimes good (when the weather is warm and sunny or finally being given decent treatments), sometimes bad (usually when I have a cold/flu). I generally stick to non perfumed anything, slather all the dry bits with E45 and try not to worry about it (lol). I’d love to call my GP and get some actual help rather than be palmed off with creams that have very short term effects (if any), as unfortunately us people with this condition are way down on the list of importance. I’d love to give you more words of encouragement but every persons skin reacts in different ways to whatever the treatment may be. It is a case of try things yourself, make a note of anything that seems to cause a reaction (foods or skincare) and try to stay positive x

Posted Mon 18 Mar 2024 12.32 by Yogacherry - from Hastings, East Sussex
Hello, I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis October 2023, after symptoms began in May 2023. II am 60 and have just finished an MA.

I started getting 'spots' randomly in May 2023 but by October I was covered on my arms, legs and face. I was then diagnosed with guttate psoriasis. I soon learned topicals are temporary and I am now scheduled to start phototherapy in a couple of weeks. The stress is real though. I was 60 and completing a masters but to be honest the stress I have had in my life was way worse when I was younger - could it be accumulative or PTSD I wonder? Anyway I really understand how stressful this is and dominates your mood if you can't incorporate some sort of wellbeing that is right for you into your life. I have to look for a job later this year and at the moment I'm actually dreading it. Sending everyone best wishes.

To take part, sign in or register with us