Psoriasis and breastfeeding.

Posted Mon 18 Mar 2024 12.41 by Raz91020

Hi. I have had psoriasis for about 15 years now I am 27. Recently had a baby 7 months ago which has hugely impacted my psoriasis it’s very angry and all over. I am applying diprosalic ointment and moisturisers as I am limited with breastfeeding. However I am hoping to stop bfeeding just so I can take stronger medication for my psoriasis such and methotrexate of cyclosporin. Just wondering is anyone else in my shoes?

Posted Sun 7 Apr 2024 20.32 by ScienceMum

Hiya, I ended up covered in psoriasis after pregnancy. As far as I’m aware, pregnancy suppresses your immune system so you don’t attack the foetus. As soon as you give birth your immune system kicks back in - and often creates major flares for psoriasis sufferers. I wanted to breast feed and I did so. But I was really worried about steroids getting in to my breast milk, so I only used moisturiser, despite having a huge flare. I was in a real mess to be honest. Anyway, I stopped breast feeding at five months to go in ciclosporin. I was very sad about it, but I was suffering physically and mentally and it was absolutely the right decision for me. Hope that helps!

To take part, sign in or register with us