Psoriasis and Sinus Problems

Posted Mon 20 May 2024 18.05 by BigA1988 (edited Mon 20 May 2024 18.08 by BigA1988)

Just doing a sort of, make-shift survey, but I just wondered how many others on here with psoriasis have, or have had, sinus or nasal and breathing issues of any kind?

1 Posted Mon 20 May 2024 18.44 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Had psoriasis to varying extents since 1980. I have had flu, colds and 2 nasty lung infections, but nothing that correlated with my psoriasis.

Posted Tue 21 May 2024 16.09 by Barbara

Have both, but have found relief for the first time in my life. Was told to not do biologics by my immunologist because of my sinus issues, but I did it anyways because I needed relief. I'm on Stelara. My whole life I had an over production of mucus, exacerbated by allergies and illnesses. I think my sinuses were fighting a chronic infection. Getting on Stelara, the mucus production abruptly stopped, along with much else. I then had a whopping sinus infection (my ENT and I think that I always had it, chronic) that didn't recover with antibiotics. I had a CT-scan and my sinuses are thankfully fairly well designed so I was able to dodge surgery and take budesonide rinse at this point (liquid for a nebulizer, taken with a Neil Med bottle and rinse 2x/day). It took about 2 months to get adjusted to the budesonide and it has been amazing ever since. I would in retrospect accept sinus surgery for these results.

Posted Wed 22 May 2024 00.23 by BigA1988

That’s really interesting, Barbara. Thanks for sharing.

Posted Fri 31 May 2024 10.59 by iankerr

I do have excess mucus but never linked it to my psoriasis. Interesting.

Posted Sat 1 Jun 2024 00.47 by BigA1988

Thanks for the input, Ian. Yeah, I can’t say for sure there’s a link, as I’m no expert. And the old “correlation doesn’t mean causation”, etc. But I’ve personally had sinus problems nearly all my life, and had psoriasis nearly all my life as well. And speaking to others on YouTube, X, and on forums like this, I’ve noticed quite a few people with psoriasis saying they have had, or have sinus or mucus issues. There’s a few other things I think maybe linked, so I might post a few more makeshift surveys lol, to test the water.

1 Posted Mon 3 Jun 2024 08.20 by OhNo_NotAgain?

@BigA1988, I wonder how many people without psoriasis have sinus or mucus "issues" ?

1 Posted Mon 3 Jun 2024 11.14 by BigA1988

@ohNo_NotAgain? Probably many, but that’s not what I’m asking, so why you’re bringing that up, I’m not sure.

1 Posted Mon 3 Jun 2024 11.33 by OhNo_NotAgain?

@bigA1988: I bring it up because just because someone might have poriasis and a mucus or sinus proiblem, does not mean that there is any link whatsoever. Imagine for example that over 50% of the general population has sinus or mucus problems, then it would not be at all surprising to find that some people with psoriasis also have sinus or mucus problems. It is not realistic to draw conclusions on any correlation between the two conditions without also understanding the general incidence of each.

1 Posted Mon 3 Jun 2024 11.53 by BigA1988

@OhNo_NotAgain? As I posted in my reply to IanKerr, correlation doesn’t mean causation, and I’m fully aware of that. So you either haven’t read this thread properly, or you’re just trying to start an argument for the sake of it. There are a few studies online, correlating sinus and dental issues with psoriasis. Just because correlation doesn’t mean causation, also doesn’t mean it’s not worth exploring.

Posted Mon 3 Jun 2024 17.47 by BigA1988

@OhNo_NotAgain? Then instead of replying to me you downvote my posts, because you know I’m right. Very childish and cowardly.

To take part, sign in or register with us