Capasal Therapeutic Shampoo

Posted Mon 26 Sep 2016 11.43 by Twae

There is an advert on the back page of the Psoriasis Association magazine for Capasal Therapeutic Shampoo. Main ingredients are Saliciylic Acid, Distilled Coal Tar and Coconut Oil. Has anyone tried it? Would they recommend using it?

Posted Wed 28 Sep 2016 01.27 by DanielC

I have used Capasal for a few times this week. Was recommended it by my Derm. It's slightly pungent and leaves my hair quite coarse but it hasn't really helped with the plaques and sores I have. I'm considering shaving my head so I can use the steroid cream/Protopic just to get the scaling down so that the coal tar shampoos can be used almost as a preventative rather than a treatment.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 2016 16.20 by ali - 67 from Hampshire
I have Psoriasis and I think psa ,I’m 65now and think have had it about 5 yrs.

I was given it and do use it. It seems to 'set my head off' at first but then seems to calm it for a few days.

Posted Tue 14 May 2024 22.23 by Cro81

Do you know if Capasal or Cocois can cause hair loss? I feel that when I use it the hair around my parting starts to thin. It's unclear if it is the product or if it is just due to the scalp psoriasis. Unsure to keep going with the capasal or use it less frequently.

Posted Wed 15 May 2024 22.59 by Jlpp97230

Just got diagnosed with sporiasis. I think I have had it for years, just small patches that come and go but have no idea why it started. Does any body have personal experiences about why it started on you?

Posted Thu 16 May 2024 09.18 by Cro81

Hi Jlpp97230, Just like you I think I have had it for years but it seems like a prolonged period of chronic stress caused a big flare up for me two years ago. Oddly it seems to be fine in the winter but gets worse around March. Hoping that my marks clear before it gets too hot.

Posted Thu 16 May 2024 11.44 by OhNo_NotAgain?

@Cro81 : I have not heard of any coal-tar based/salicylic acid shampoos causing hair loss. I DO think that scalp psoriasis can affect your hair and hair-line somewhat. I have used Capasal/cocois without adverse effects, but this is only my direct experience of these.

Posted Tue 21 May 2024 16.36 by Robert Davis

For myself, I have used it for a number of years as part of a broader arsenal and find it one of the most effective things I use. I also use the T-Gel shampoo with the same ingredient. Have to say, any avoidance of Sebco/Cocois (yuk!) very desirable...

Posted Mon 24 Jun 2024 21.06 by TINA

I have suffered with scalp psoriasis (and the rest!) for 60+ years and tried all sorts of things. Only discovered Capasal shampoo a few years ago and now swear by it. It won't cure my condition but keeps it under control and is easy to use compared with some of the other awful and time consuming preparations which I have tried over the years. I use Capasal every two or three days but it can be used every day if/when necessary. I apply olive oil to my scalp first, massage it in and leave for about five minutes. Then I use one application of Capasal, leave it for several minutes as directed, then rinse out. I don't use a second application though, instead wash with a soothing shampoo such as Aveeno. I find two applications too harsh. I hope this post is helpful, although what works for one person doesn't work for another.

Posted Wed 26 Jun 2024 21.04 by LaughingFlea

Hi, I used Polytar, Capasal and T-Gel. Capasal was very good (strong tarry smell). T-Gel is very good but less tarry smell. I found that Polytar has changed. It used to be a thick solution which would wash all grease, now Polytar is watery and I have to apply it twice to my hair. None of them should cause hair loss.

Posted Thu 27 Jun 2024 03.30 by Jill

I find it quite difficult to remove the smell after using tar-based shampoo. I would be interested in any advice on this

Posted Thu 27 Jun 2024 07.46 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Fri 28 Jun 2024 08.55 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

@Jill, I am never bothered too much by the coal-tar smell so I have not tried to get rid of it, or experimented with that. BUT a shampoo that I have used that was effective against the itching in my scalp, smelled nice and did not dry out the hair, is Alphacade PSO. It might work well to use in rotation with tar shampoos, or as a second wash, after first using a coal-tar based product.? If you want to try it, Shop around online for where you can buy it, I have seen some VERY high prices. I bought several times from from www.cocooncenter.co.uk

Posted Fri 28 Jun 2024 08.43 by nimbus1

I've recently been prescribed this also after using alphosyl for many years - and now been discontinued. Its more potent in smell but seems to be doing the job.

To take part, sign in or register with us